One of my favorite movies is The Rocky Horror Picture show, and while it was made to be what it is, a cult classic, to me it always represented something about free expression. This film is way more than just a sweet transvestite from transexual Transylvania, it's about the people who made the film expressing themselves and those who love the film also expressing themselves. True, for some people, the idea of grown men in drag is a bit too much, but for others the idea of going to a theatre wearing little more than your birthday suit with many others dressed the same is the high point of their life. This film brings people together in their lingerie, and teaches us that it's okay to be an alien and feel out of place, because by the end of the movie everyone is dancing.
To me the justice issue this addressed where the stereotypes against the LGBT community. Yes, it was done in a comical way, and not everyone who enjoys the film is necessarily part of the LGBT community or sympathetic to the community. But by exploiting the stereotypes and putting them in film, I find empowerment against those who are anti-LGBT and homo-phobic.
I just love this film.


I saw this for the first time this Halloween because it was on a 24 hour long marathon on some channel on direct TV. I thought it was supposed to be a horror movie and when they started singing and dancing I got very confused. But yeah I got the justice issue pretty quick and I thought it was a pretty entertaining movie as well. It's just really weird.
ReplyDelete